Sunday, December 12, 2010

East down and bound...

East down and bound...except it was really west down, and bound. Oh well, I never was very good with directions- except that I'm a world geography teacher. go figure. Anyways, I had planned on bringing the kids to Houston (to my parents house) on Sunday since Patrick was going out of town for a job, but Wednesday morning he let me know that he actually had to leave Thursday- so I frantically packed everything and decided to head down Thursday. Let me explain to you that I am a type-A, OCD, list maker and I hadn't even BEGUN my "packing list" for Houston, so I was in a PANIC. I did all the laundry, started making lists and didn't clean my house (that's a big faux paus for me, I always clean before I leave- you know, in case a burglar breaks in, the cops won't think we are dirty people). I forgot how much stuff babies need- fortunately my mom borrowed a pack and play from a friend, so we didn't have to bring ours! Thursday morning, with the car loaded down, two kids and two dogs, we headed to Houston. We were making good, actually great, time, until I got pulled over! Right outside of Livingston, I got pulled over for going 68 in a 60- for the record, I have NEVER received a ticket for going more than 10 miles over the speed limit...I ALWAYS get ticketed for something lame, like 47 in a 40 (true story). I promise that I did not use my baby crying as a way to get out of this ticket, I also promise that I did not tell the cop that I needed to feed her and he automatically assumed I meant breast feed, I also did not let him believe that, even though I am NOT breast feeding. The cop let me go with a warning and we drove off to the rest stop so I could feed Addison. Needless to say, we made it to Houston with only 10 minutes of crying and no potty breaks for JP (which scared me because I had no idea how I would take an infant and JP into a restroom and keep the dogs from jumping out of the car when I opened the doors). I'm pretty proud of the fact that I traveled 4 hours in a car, with a newborn, a 3 year old and 2 dogs...it's right up there with navigating an airport, with a 18 month old, stroller, suitcase AND in 3 inch heels :) That's a different story, for a different day..and it involves JP calling the man next to us on the plane "Daddy" for the entire flight...and I never corrected him because it kept him occupied :) 
So here we are, east, I mean west, bound and down, in Houston until next Saturday (because I have no water at my house in Shreveport now- don't ask) finishing up Christmas shopping, playing with all of Ta-Ta's "really awesome" toys and eating yummy food! 
On a side note- I think Addison has reflux, anyone have any experience in this? She spits up HOURS after she eats, arches her back and gives off a little cry (no uncontrollable crying or anything, just a pained facial expression and a small cry) and has wet hiccups ALL the time. Should I take her in or just suck it up and keep doing lots of laundry? Help! 

No comments: