Sunday, May 6, 2012

Just like a Rock Star!


I don't know how many of y'all are familiar with The Fresh Beat Band on Nick, Jr., but they are an adorable (and slightly annoying) kids show that follows this "band" who sing songs about loving yourself, helping friends, having great days...you get the idea. Anyways- they have embarked on a "nation wide tour", and they always show these little promos in between different shows on Nick, Jr. 

Side note- yes, I realize I am discussing children's shows with a straight face- but after 4.5 years, I am intimately involved with Max & Ruby (WHERE ARE THEIR PARENTS?!), The Backyardigans (once again- lack of parental supervision) and Dora (did you ever see the episode where Dora's mom is "surprised" when she has twins? How in the world do you NOT know that you're pregnant with twins? And who lets their 4 year old wander around a jungle?) 

Long story short- every time these Fresh Beat promos come on TV, JP goes CRAZY; demands that we see them in concert. I did some digging (more like googling) and found out that they were only coming to Dallas and New Orleans. That was just too much of an ordeal for me to handle, so I shelved the idea of taking him to this concert. That is....until one of my students mentioned that her sister and mom were going to see The Fresh Beat Band when they came to town. WAIT?! Back up. What?! I immediately flew to my desk, stopped class for a moment, and bought us tickets. 


After discussing it with Patrick, we decided not to tell him that we were going and just surprise him. I thought, for sure, that I would be mom of the year and my child would love me forever. We pulled up and I busted out the camera to tell him and well, it didn't go like planned. JP was CONVINCED we were going to Chuck E. Cheese and when we broke it to him that we were actually seeing The Fresh Beat Band, Live!, in concert! and it would be awesome!- he burst into tears. After laughing about it, we dragged him out of the car, made him march his pouty self into the auditorium, where he proceeded to have THE TIME OF HIS LIFE. 


Seriously- once he procured a light up glow stick thing and a t-shirt, he sang every song, danced like his life depended on it and chanted "FRESH BEAT BAND! FRESH BEAT BAND! FRESH BEAT BAND!" with 2,500 other screaming kiddos. He loved it. And honestly, I might have sang every song too.....and so did my husband (despite him denying to even know their songs). 


We had a blast and when JP laid his little head next to me that night and said, "mommy, that was the BESTEST surprise ever. You blew my mind up! I had so much fun!" my heart just about melted. 




And yes, he did wear this shirt every.single.day last week. *don't worry- I did laundry every.single.night






2 comments:

Perfectly Imperfect said...

Love this. I spent my 29th birthday at dang Sesame Street Live and E LOVED it. Worth it. Every single time. So glad y'all had fun!

Andrea D said...

This story is so adorable! I can't believe he burst into tears...what a sweet surprise, though :)
Also, I don't have kids but we watched days full of Dora when my nieces were in town. Now, any time my hubs and I are successful at something..."We did it, we did it, we did it, YAY!" Hahaha.