Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The First Days of School

Yesterday was JP's first day of pre-school...he's attended a daycare of some sort since he was born, but yesterday, was the official "preschool" launching day. I decided to start him a week earlier than we actually needed childcare so he could get back in the swing of things before I go back to work next week (yes, Louisiana schools start next week, don't get me started, that's another post for another day). So yesterday we packed him off with his brand new nap mat (which is WAY ADORABLE and both he and I are super excited about), his Diego backpack- filled with the required two blankies, baby pillow and an extra change of clothes. He was dressed all cute in a polo shirt and embroidered shorts.....and his Buzz Light year laser arm bands. 
See, his beloved Ta-Ta (my mom, his grandmother) made him a truly awesome cape and "laser arm bands" for his birthday and he INSISTED on wearing them to school yesterday. When I saw his accessory of choice, I remarked "well you're gonna be that kid on the first day, huh?" and then I thought to myself "nothing says 'be my friend' like the threat of being lasered." I made his daddy, Big P, take him to preschool because I'm a big wuss and knew I would cry if he cried...so off they went and right before he got in the car, he turned around and ran back inside because he "had to give mommy a hug". BREAK MY HEART! FREEZE AND STOP GROWING CHILD OF MINE! Anyways, they got to school and he told his daddy that he was going to be shy and then cried and cried...for 5 minutes. Of course, we didn't know if was only 5 minutes, and I spent the rest of the day thinking that he was BAWLING at school. We (well, I) decided to pick him up before nap time, so around 11:30, I showed up and found that NO he was not crying all day and he really didn't want to leave. *sigh* I brought him home anyways and asked him how his day was- he told me some kid spilled juice on him at breakfast snack, so I asked him "what did you do when that happened?" and JP told me "I lasered him and then took my pants off". Awesome. I so have THAT KID. Fortunately we watched an awesome episode of Ni-Hao Kai Lan that was all about being nice and sharing so I feel like he was going to be nicer today.
When I dropped him off this morning, there were no tears and the kids actually yelled "YAY JP IS HERE!" and he turned to me and whispered "look mommy, my friends are so excited to see me!" Yep....he's growing up and I hate it. 
On another note, I am still sick. And Big P is gone. Again. Last week I went to Urgent Care to find out that I had double ear infections, strep throat and a sinus infection...and I came home with a Z-Pack and the belief that I would be all better in no time! WRONG. I have still been sick, so I went back today and found out that....the Z-Pack failed. Straight up did not work. Cue the tears and me begging for relief (seeing as I haven't slept in a week and I'm pregnant, crying because I feel bad is not something I am ashamed of) so they shot me up with some steroid and sent me home with a stronger antibiotic. Let's hope I feel better soon because...SCHOOL STARTS NEXT WEEK! *insert blood curdling screams from both teachers and students, while the parents smile at the thought of getting rid of their kids*

No comments: