Wednesday, August 31, 2011

$300


$300. 

That’s the amount of the check I’m about to write as part of a bet with my homeroom class. Why $300? Well, the high school I work at is doing a fundraiser for St. Jude’s. It’s called “Going the Distance”- the premise is that students, teachers, community members will be walking around the track at our football stadium for 24 hours, beginning this Friday, at 7 pm. Cross country started this event last year and didn’t expect to raise much money, or get much support- it was just an idea they floated around. Last year- the first year of this fundraiser, they raised $21,000. They put this fundraiser together and raised $21,000. I can’t get that number out of my head. That’s just insane to me. This year, they set their goal at $100,000. That’s a pretty big goal and I have been praying that they can meet that goal. I’m always hesitant to get involved in fundraisers, or donate money. I’m not sure why- I just worry that I will need that money later on….and I guess because I’m pretty selfish.


As part of the fundraiser this year, the homeroom classes are raising money and the one that raises the most is getting a donut party (or something along those lines). I promised my class that whatever they raised, I would match. I figured, well, they are high school students- I might be writing a check for $100 at the most….wrong. The fundraiser has two more days to go and we are sitting at $300. I might have had a minor freak out this morning when I counted the money, but as I’ve thought about it- I’m surprisingly calm (the same can’t be said for my husband, who is BEYOND furious at me). This is my rationale on the situation- 1. God will provide and this will all work out 2. JP and Addison are healthy and I’m not sure there’s a price tag you can put on that 3. What goes around, comes around- right?

Obviously this is a God thing. It has to be. I’ve been thinking about how selfish and materialistic I have been lately and BOOM, this happens. God works in a very funny way. Now, if we could all just pray that my husband sees it this way. 



1 comment:

Rhonda said...

That's amazing! Good for you and good for those kids! Now I feel silly for freaking out over my MUCH SMALLER pledge to United Way that I made this morning. lol!