Tragedy happens. Bad things happen. Life happens. It always amazes me that when tragedy strikes, or bad things happen, Christians (myself included) are so quick to say “oh this world is not my home.” Or “our days are numbered, we aren’t meant for this world”. Yes, we are. This world IS our home. It’s time that Christians stop saying that, and start taking responsibility for this world. We are called to be set apart, not above; we are called to make believers out of non-believers, we are called to serve this world. No, this is not our long term home, my place is in heaven, but at the present time, this IS my home and it is up to ME to make it a better place for my children.
By declaring “this isn’t my home”, it gives the impression that Christians are throwing their hands up and saying “I don’t care! Not my problem! I’m better than this world.” And we aren’t. We are just as fallen and sinful as this world and all its problems and we need to start taking responsibility for it. We need to do a lot less reading and talking about Jesus and start BEING like Jesus.
That brings me to my next point; which is that I feel like people think that if they aren’t out doing something BIG in the name of Jesus (overseas mission, adopting an orphan, etc) then it doesn’t count as mission work. Your mission, your ministry, doesn’t have to be on a big scale, your ministry could be something as simple as uttering a prayer for someone, offering a smile, just being kind. This is something that I’ve struggled with in my life; finding my ministry, finding meaning in the mundane, finding ways to serve in my daily life. Serving doesn’t have to be just for a week in the summer, serving Jesus and being the hands and feet of Christ is something we need to strive for every.single.day. Be the change you wish to see in this world. If you want to see more Jesus in this world and in this country, then start BEING MORE JESUS. Stop talking and start doing. Show love, show kindness, show compassion. BE THE CHANGE. BE JESUS. It’s ridiculous for us to think that politicians, or leaders are going to “fix” this country and bring God back (not that God ever left. This is another thing that I don't understand. Why in the world people claim that God isn't here is beyond me? He's God, He can't be kept out. But anyways.) You want God back in this country? Then put God back in your home, your children, your life.
Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Romans 15:4
Roots and Wings
3 weeks ago
1 comment:
This is so true!
I struggle with the same thing myself. I think am I really out there helping people & showing Christ's love to others on a daily basis? I'm an accountant. Am I really making a difference in people's lives? When you said "your ministry could be something as simple as uttering a prayer for someone, offering a smile, just being kind" that really spoke to me! If I can go on a missions trip, great! If not, be Jesus to those around me on a daily basis.
Post a Comment