Friday, January 14, 2011

Mid-City Pediatrics

An open letter to Mid-City Pediatrics:

While I appreciate your doctor being concerned when my baby spit up after she had taken her first bottle ever in life and momentarily forgot to breath- I really don't understand why y'all insisted she be rushed (by ambulance) to the NICU at another hospital across town. Once we got there- she was fine- her stats never dropped and she never did it again. Your doctor's "quick judgement" cost us 7 days in the NICU, cost me $11,000 (once it's all said and done) and caused my daughter to undergo an MRI (with sedation), a CT scan, 4 lumbar punctures (because she "might" have meningitis- even though she had no fever and you were already treating her with the preventative antibiotics, just in case) and caused me to lose sleep, cry and be unnecessarily worried when you used terms like "cerebral palsy", "hypoxia", "meningitis". 
After this, I still trusted you with my daughter's care. And I still trusted you after you OVERDOSED HER ON DIFLUCAN! Yes, that's correct- your doctor called in a prescription for thrush (which was caused by her being on antibiotics for 7 straight days while in the NICU) and he told the pharmacist the wrong dosage....six times the amount a 1 month old would take to be precise. Lucky for you, and her, I love google and upon googling this medication after she spontaneously puked every where, I discovered the overdose. Also lucky for you, it was only diflucan and not something serious...like penicillan or something that could cause serious brain damage. Not so lucky for Miss Addison is the fact that ever since then, she can't poop. As in- the poor child screams and clutches my hair until she poops- congratulations, not only did you overdose her, you made her permanently constipated....the poor thing has to drink prune juice every day just to crap.
I appreciated the doctor calling me and owning up to his mistake, so I decided (against my better judgement) to continue using you and blame the pharmacy for not catching the mistake. Note to self- always listen to your gut and stop being so dang nice! 
When it came time for Miss Addison's 2 month check up/shots, imagine my surprise when I showed up to check in 15 minutes early (and still sat for an hour in your waiting room) and your lovely receptionist informed me that I owed you $420 and you wouldn't be able to give Miss Addison (who was born 3 weeks early might I add) her shots until I paid up. I was momentarily shocked because I had only received your bill a week earlier and once I protested and pointed out that I was not above taking my daughter to the free health clinic for her shots, your lovely receptionist relented (in the name of Christmas as she told me) and  said it was fine, she'd override our account. Fast forward to today- my husband and I have been calling to make arrangements to pay for Addison's astronomical and unnecessary medical bills (I mean, we don't exactly have $11,000 laying around) and everyone is so kind to work with us...until you. Your billing department agreed to a payment plan but then told us that well, even with a payment plan, she can't receive her shots. end of discussion. WHY WOULD I SET UP A PAYMENT PLAN IF SHE CAN'T GET HER SHOTS STILL!?!? So, Mid-City Pediatrics, you have made it clear that your bottom line is MONEY, not the welfare of my (two) children and I will now make it my life mission to see that something is done about the overdosing of Addison by your (clearly incompetent) doctor and letting EVERYONE know about your ridiculous policy. Are you aware that there are people out there who don't even make an effort to pay their medical bills?! I mean, I have insurance so you are getting paid some and I'm letting you know that I can't pay this all at once, but will pay it over time and you STILL won't work with me?! After I looked past all your prior screw ups. Bad form Meredith, bad form indeed. So, Mid-City Pediatrics, I am moving my kids to another practice and when I show up to sign off on having their medical records transferred, you can bet your ass I am going to loudly proclaim to the waiting room why I am doing it...I will include the following in my statement to your receptionist: 1. overdosing by your doctor and 2. your bottom line is money and not the welfare of children. Oh, and I also plan on writing this letter to the newspaper...after all, the pen is mightier than the sword.

Sincerely-

The McGovern Family. 

1 comment:

Annie said...

wow!! i would be so upset if i was you. i'd be writing all kinds of letters!!
so sorry you have to deal with this and sorry your little one had to go through this :(