Friday, February 4, 2011

Sleep advice

Y'all, I'm desperate. My precious little baby won't sleep. Well, let me rephrase- she WILL sleep, but she won't GO to sleep. Does that make sense? See, once she goes to sleep at night, she will sleep for 8 hours at night, but getting her to sleep is next to impossible! We loosely use the Babywise method (mainly the eat, awake, sleep part) and that worked for getting her days and nights un-mixed up (thank you NICU for that)- but poor baby just won't nap during the day and by the time it's bed time, she is so overtired that NOTHING works. We swaddle, keep the room dark, have a music seahorse in her bed, give her the paci, rock, pat her back....everything the books say to do, but she just won't go to sleep! I am so desperate, I am actually asking for internet advice (other than trusty google- swear I am writing a book called "Parenting by Google"). This is new to us, even though we have a 3 year old and are clearly not first time parents! Although, I feel like I should be in remedial baby 101 or something...I have forgotten EVERYTHING babies do! JP never needed to be rocked, or anything- we did swaddle him and he took a pacifier and we let him cry it out once or twice and he was fine. The child always slept, we were spoiled, I know, but now it's making poor Addison suffer because  she's so tired! I guess I need to suck it up and let her cry it out, but for some reason, it's much harder with this baby than the first one! So help! Please!!!! Leave me some advice! 

1 comment:

Becca said...

Ok girl, let me start off by saying I'm SORRY! I so know what you're going through and I was in you exact shoes a few months ago (minus the older sibling)! My little boy will be 7 months old Monday and is the world's greatest sleeper now. 12-13 hours a night and takes 2 naps a day, 2 hours each, sometimes longer.

It hasn't been easy, but this is what we did. I finally figured out after reading "Healthy Sleep Habits..." that we were keeping him up too long so the more tired he was, the harder it was for him to fall asleep and stay aleep. Sleep begets sleep, a well rested baby sleeps better than an exhuasted one.

From 3 months to 6 months I never let him stay up more than 2 hours. We do the Babywise "eat-play-sleep" routine. About 15 minutes before it's time to go down we go in him room to relax. I turn off the lights and turn on a dim lamp, play lullabies, read a book or two, change his diaper, lotion massage, swaddle (sleepsack now) rock, etc. I make sure to take my time and NOT rush. I know this can be hard since you have a toddler...

Also, (feel free to judge me) Gibson sleeps on his tummy. We have all of the fancy montiors, but I just had to pray about it and say "Ok God, you gave me this child, I trust you."

Once he's drowsy but not asleep, I put him on his belly, and say goodnight. I then turn off the music and turn on the noise maker AND a box fan. Turn out the light and book it out of there.

When he would CIO I started at 10 minutes and would go back in to soothe when the timer (literally) was done, but a routine is really all it took.

I would have never guessed that being a mom could make you stress over things like naps?! LOL. Oh, I was so so wrong. I've typed this in a hurry but I hope it makes sense?!? Hang in there!!!!

Becca